The Membership Process
In order to become a member of the 100 Black Men of the Tallahassee Area any interested person must be nominated by a current financial member of the Chapter. The nominating member must submit the name of the interested individual to the Membership Committee.
After the individual names have been submitted to the membership chairperson, the chairperson will contact the prospective member via a phone call, and then follow-up confirming receipt of the application.
Prospective Members will be required to do the following:
• Attend a membership orientation session. The date of the orientation session will be determined by the Membership Committee with the approval of the Executive Committee.
• With the completed application, all prospective members must submit a background check verification form from their local law enforcement agency (military security clearances are not acceptable). Recognizing that the background check takes a considerable amount of time, applicants are encouraged to submit the completed background check during the interview process.
• All applicants must submit two (2) letters of recommendation; one letter must be from a current member of the 100 in good standing (financial member).
• All applicants will have an interview with before the Membership Committee. After the completion of the interview before the Membership Committee, the membership committee will make a recommendation to the Executive Committee for approval of membership.
• Upon acceptance, all applicants must submit the annual membership fee ($200.00) within 30 days of membership notification. If within this 30-day period the balance has not been received by the Chapter, the offer of membership is rescinded.
Regular Member – A member who is actively involved with the programs of the chapter, serves on one or more committees and regularly attends meetings.
Supporting Member - A member who financially supports the chapter, but is currently unavailable to devote sufficient time to mentoring, tutoring and/or committee work. This form of membership is only granted by the executive committee.